Sunday, February 7, 2010

Progress towards GAME goals

This week, a great deal of progress has been made towards my GAME goals. I continued to work with the school based professional development committee, and we finished our plan for next year's school professional development. In our plan, we have included school wide goals of: improving in writing, improving problem solving skills, implementing more technology, and implementing cooperative learning amongst our students. This is a big step towards working on standard 5a, and I think is quite effective towards helping meet this standard.
This coming week, on the 12th, I will be attending two in-district technology workshops to help me learn more strategies to use in my class. I am really looking forward to this! I hope to use this in my instruction immediately.
I am also planning to start experimenting more with the online grading program I use to communicate with parents and students instead of relying on my website. I think that since most people are already familiar with this site and use it often to check grades, this would be a better vehicle to communicate. The program (snapgrades.net) has recently implemented new features for teachers, so I am going to check them out.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are doing a great job Marcella. You have a busy week planned. We currently have a grading program that allows us to send grades home to parents via e-mail but we are supposed to be getting a different program soon that allows for parents to check their child's grades at any time. I know that many districts are already using this tool and they like it. I have heard people voice their concerns about this though. It will be interesting to see how this works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcella,
    That is an interesting idea to communicate with parents through your grading site. It makes sense since your families already check that site for grades and comments, so it is one less web address for them to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The site I use is snapgrades.net. It is free, easy to use, and parents can login anytime. Try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcella,
    It sounds like you have a clear focus. Our district has recently switched to an online gradebook. It has phased in with high school students, the the middle school students. The elementary grades will phase in next year so I will be trying that out soon. I think it will be an important and effective way to communicate with parents. I hope you enjoyed your staff development on Friday.

    ReplyDelete